At our first meeting on Tuesday 12th July, we decided on a name - Greening Benalla Focus Group, BSFG.
We discussed our interest and purpose as follows –
- Greening of the Benalla landscape by preserving existing vegetation and creating new green spaces and corridors.
- Our focus is health and wellbeing of the community and environment through involvement and education.
At this meeting Kate brought the BRC Health and Wellbeing Annual Action Plan 2022-2023 to our attention. We felt we could make a contribution to many of the intended actions and outcomes contained within the document.
- We read through the document and from our notes Christine wrote a submission to the Plan, sent on 13th July.
- Of the ten Victorian Public Health and Wellbeing priorities, tackling climate change, increasing healthy and active living were specific areas of interest to our group.
- We have not had feedback or acknowledgement from the BRC Health and Wellbeing Steering committee.
Our second meeting, on the 26th July, was called abruptly as we found out through the Ensign funding was available for councils and community groups to apply for grants from The Living Local fund, to improve public spaces and streetscapes, due by 14th August.
We made the following decisions as an action plan in preparation to apply for funding.
- Identify potential spaces for greening. We came up with two potential spaces, both in Goodwin St. Benalla. We visited those spaces.
- Contact the appropriate people from BRC to determine who is responsible for those spaces. (Judy sent an email 28th July)
- We intend to make an appointment to discuss our ideas with the BRC Planning/ Landscaping staff as well as Councillor Gail O'Brien in the coming week, as soon as we have above information.
Christine Holmes, on behalf of the group.