Community renewable energy projects strengthen local economies by:
- developing renewable energy industries,
- providing jobs and training and
- keeping the financial benefits within the local community.
Following presentations by the guest speakers, attendees were asked to form small groups to discuss what they saw as the key opportunities and challenges of exploring a renewable energy project for Benalla. Groups recorded their ideas which will be used as the basis for planning a renewable energy future for Benalla.
A Renewable Energy Working Party has been formed to progress the project of developing a future renewable energy plan for Benalla and has established the following key objectives:
- Improve energy efficiency and reduce energy use in Benalla.
- Promote awareness and support for renewable energy by the Benalla community and Council.
- Develop a Future Energy plan for Benalla.
- Encourage significant increase in local energy generation in Benalla.
- Increase and keep the financial benefits of renewable energy generation locally.
A submission for funding to support this project will be made to the Victorian government's New Energy Jobs Fund. The second funding round is now open and will close on March 1st .
Source: BSFG Newsletter, December 2016