After accepting the minutes of the previous AGM and presentation of reports all elected positions will be declared open and there will be an election of President, Vice-President, Treasurer and Secretary plus four committee members including a nominated member from the Food Co-Op.
Instead of a Guest speaker for the AGM this year we will be showing the 30-minute documentary Guarding the Galilee, a film about the epic fight to stop Adani’s Carmichael coal mine. Presented by Queensland born actor Michael Caton, Guarding the Galilee is a documentary on the battle to stop the biggest coal mine in Australian history, Adani’s Carmichael project. The film features farmers, dive instructors and boat operators all concerned about the impacts that Adani’s mine would have on water resources, climate and the reef.
The award-winning documentary team capture the raw beauty of Central Queensland, where the Adani Carmichael mine threatens essential water resources. After the screening, there will be an opportunity for discussion about what we’ve seen and what can be done to Stop Adani.
10 key moments so far in the fight to #stopadani
1. February 2014, Court actions to protect the Reef
2. May 2014, Global bank drops Adani
3. January 2015, Voters vote for the Reef
4. March 2015, Traditional Owners oppose Adani
5. April 2015, Adani’s lies revealed in court
6. August 2015, Court overturns Adani approval
7. August 2015, Australian banks join international banks, say ‘no’ to Adani
8. November 2015, Limits placed on dredge dumping and port expansions
9. June 2016, Controversy over public loan and protests during Gautam Adani visit
10. March 2017, 90 prominent Australians oppose Adani mine, delegation visits India
11. May 2017, Queensland Government refuses to facilitate public money for Adani
The meeting has an opportunity to begin a local action.
3 suggested ways to take action to Stop Adani.
- Join, start or grow a Stop Adani group in your community
- Don’t give $1B of public money to Adani! Organise an action at your MP’s office
- Adopt your local Westpac branch: make sure they don’t loan money to Adani. (Achieved)
We look forward to seeing you at the 2017 Benalla Sustainable Future Group AGM and our screening of Guarding the Galilee which is presented as part of the StopAdani campaign;
Download Flyer .